Friday, May 25, 2018

AIDS Memorial Grove


West End entrance leading to the Fern Grotto

This scenic patch of greenery within Golden Gate Park is like a mini-oasis. Save for the odd cell phone talker, ball/frisbee player or picnic-goer, the AIDS Memorial Grove is usually fairly peaceful. Unfortunately, the habits of Memorial visitors seem to be changing over time. As the lawn at the Conservatory of Flowers has now become a mini Dolores Park West (read: Party Spot Central), so, too, has this place become a bit of a fiesta zone at the weekend.

Abide by the rules, folks. 


Flowers left for a loved one. 

At the east end, there's a really cool bit of cement with names etched into it that I mistakenly thought were the names of those who we have lost (like the Memorial Quilt), but it's actually a composition of names of donors to the grove spiralling out from a central point like the rings of a tree. -slightly less moving as a result. However, there are occasional individual memorials to those who have died set up on the donor name site & they are moving. -a floral bouquet, an old photograph, eulogies left on sheets of paper and secured by rock.  

Beyond the glade are paths, dirt & stepped alike, leading up through the trees at the west end toward a main road. Benches abound within the grove, so there's really a lot of opportunity to sit and reflect during one's visit. 

My favorite Uncle died of AIDS/HIV related issues back when the epidemic was just coming into to full swing in the mid-80s. It was awful to watch him deteriorate. We really had no idea what was happening to him. His death marked the second time I had seen my father cry. The first was when he and my mother divorced. I'm grateful that this grove exists and that I'm able to visit it as often as I wish


Parting shot.

10 comments:

  1. It's a really nice memorial Bea. So glad they are able to treat AIDS now. So many died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful place to be able to sit and reflect.

      Delete
  2. It looks so nicely laid out and maintained. Shame the party-ers have staked out an area. I wonder if they have a stake, by memory. Do they clean up? That's a big mark of respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's usually just on the especially sunny and warm days. -like there's not enough green space for all the revelers. I'm of two minds about it, really. Those who have left us might like the idea that folk are enjoying themselves in a memorial area dedicated to them. I'm with you: like hikers, they had better pack it in & pack it out.

      Delete
  3. What a nice area. I'm so sorry about your uncle. I hope more people respect that area. Sadly, I think as AIDS becomes less of a death sentence, people forget how devastating that disease can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. The no. of AIDS/HIV related deaths have greatly decreased over the past 20 years, fortunately. However, as you mention, it may mean that younger generations do not understand brute force of the epidemic & how it shaped our society. I mean, I was just a teen/young adult, but I saw it. I saw what it did to us here in the Bay Area. Men of a certain age were disappearing almost. It was a visible thing.

      I also think that people view a memorial space somewhat subjectively. It's a sort of 'here's what I find appropriate...' mentality.

      Delete
  4. I always like to see living memorials. And am grateful that Aids is not the scourge it was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful area that is and I am glad to hear about it. Didn't know it existed until I read your blog so thank you.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

Wood/Driftwood

Bartie in the yard. Backyard horse, Palo Alto Ocean Beach filled with art materials. Wild wood in Golden Gate Park The most I've 'ma...