Monday, June 26, 2017

In lieu of a ghost bike.




A few days ago, a cyclist was struck by a car and killed at the end of our road. I hadn't known what had happened until reading about it in the local paper a couple of days later. I went out for a jog that day and saw a huge police police presence at the intersection. They'd cordoned off Alemany Blvd. to through traffic at Silver Avenue. Officers were congregating there, I guess, waiting for colleagues to come and measure the area of the accident. Some forty minutes later, they were all still there.

Alemany is a long-ish thoroughfare cutting through a large swath of the southern area of San Francisco. Pedestrians & cyclists need to be very careful when crossing at this intersection as many motorists are both driving well above the speed limit & not obeying the traffic signals. Whenever I cross at this light, I sort of stick my head out from behind the slew of parked cars along the road to make sure there's no one barreling down the road at me. Doesn't seem to matter that they've a red light. These motorists must think they're in The Fast & Furious 8, or some such thing, when they are behind the wheel.

Alemany boasts a fairly long dedicated bike lane. Even so, I, frankly, wouldn't ride my bike down Alemany before this fatality & I'm certainly still not keen to now. Due to recent road work by the local electric company, Alemany has been torn up, literally, and holes in the road have been temporarily covered by large, steel slabs. The bike lane in these work areas has been all but eradicated. It was in one such area where a man called Moises Chavez was killed while riding his bike. The motorist who hit him pulled over & called the police. Chavez died at hospital.



Small memorial. Out of shot are a bunch of candles.

Just about where Mr Chavez was hit. 


10 comments:

  1. Motorists here are beginning to lose respect for red lights too. Everyone in the U.K. think that they own the road - especially cyclists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a pedestrian, I know I don't own the road. I cross with extreme caution.

      Delete
    2. Actually, as a pedestrian, you own more of the road than anyone perched on wheels. Nobody has the God-given right to mow down anybody who doesn't get out of the way quick enough. I have throttled cyclists before now, and I always give way to pedestrians in a car.

      Delete
    3. Would that more folk here thought like you!

      Delete
  2. Cyclists don't argue with cars at all well. Sadly too many of them here insist on their right of way. Dead right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have many bike paths where I live. Quite often, the bikers ride down the lanes of traffic instead. I don't know why. They can't be seen and are no match for cars. I'd be afraid of the teens driving or old ladies like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all so sad. My husband uses a portion of Alemany on his bike commute route, but he's since avoided the work zone. It's just too dangerous.

      Delete
  4. At least the driver stopped...

    People don't pay attention. We have stretches of road here like that. One near me, in the crosswalk a woman was killed recently. Sadly, some people won't learn to slow down and pay attention until something like this happens to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm glad she did. People are so keen to run the light as well. They can't seem to wait 'til the next green light as if it were an eternity.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Tidbits

Every now and then my mom will drop a nugget of her personal history on me and anyone else lucky enough to be in earshot.  Last night over d...